In 2020, PEDro answered more than 3.8 million questions. That means a new search was performed every 8 seconds, on average.
Although PEDro contains more randomised controlled trials than systematic reviews and practice guidelines, the most commonly accessed articles by PEDro users were reviews and guidelines. This means that many physiotherapists are using the best research methods to guide their practice. Using guidelines and reviews is also efficient because both methods synthesise the results of all available trials and, for guidelines, reviews on physiotherapy interventions for specific health conditions.
The top 10 articles accessed in PEDro during 2020 were:
1. Chutkan NB, et al. Evidence-based clinical guidelines for multidisciplinary spine care: diagnosis and treatment of low back pain (2020). https://www.spine.org/Portals/0/assets/downloads/ResearchClinicalCare/Guidelines/LowBackPain.pdf
2. Kolasinski SL, et al. 2019 American College of Rheumatology/Arthritis Foundation guideline for the management of osteoarthritis of the hand, hip, and knee. Arthritis Care Res 2020;72(2):149-62
3. Hornby TG, et al. Clinical practice guideline to improve locomotor function following chronic stroke, incomplete spinal cord injury, and brain injury. J Neurol Phys Ther 2020;44(1):49-100
4. Delitto A, et al. Low back pain clinical practice guidelines linked to the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health from the Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2012;42(4):A1-57
5. Management of rotator cuff injuries clinical practice guideline (2019). https://www.aaos.org/globalassets/quality-and-practice-resources/rotator-cuff/rotator-cuff-cpg-final-12-20-19.pdf
6. Qaseem A, et al. Noninvasive treatments for acute, subacute, and chronic low back pain: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Int Med 2017;166(7):514-30
7. Diercks R, et al. Guideline for diagnosis and treatment of subacromial pain syndrome: a multidisciplinary review by the Dutch Orthopaedic Association. Acta Orthop 2014;85(3):314-22
8. Logerstedt DS, et al. Knee stability and movement coordination impairments: knee ligament sprain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2010;40(4):A1-37
9. Low Back Pain Working Group. Evidence-informed primary care management of low back pain (2017). https://actt.albertadoctors.org/CPGs/Lists/CPGDocumentList/LBP-guideline.pdf
10. Page MJ, et al. Manual therapy and exercise for adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder) (Cochrane review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014;Issue 8